9 replies to this topic

#1 Profexxion

Profexxion

Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 60 posts

Posted 28 July 2012 - 07:48 PM

With Ouya's kickstarter reaching $5.7 million +, does anyone think it will be a great success after reaching consumers?

#2 Greg Morton

Greg Morton

Staff

• Moderators
  • 77 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 05:57 AM

This statement in the video makes me mad:

"... more and more people are moving away from the television" (speaking about playing video games)

I think that is 100% pure bull shit. You can't tell me that any gamer at all, even casual gamers, are moving away from gaming on their TV due to iOS and Android devices. I believe what people are seeing is simply an increase in mobile gaming, because people who would have NEVER typically played any kind of game (like my grandma) are now playing Angry Birds, or something similar. If any devices were going to be at risk of seeing a decline because of mobile gaming, it would be other mobile gaming devices like the 3DS or the Vita.

I don't believe we live in a world where a tablet replaces a console, and I don't believe we'll see that world at least in the next 10 years, as consoles continue to innovate themselves as well. I do believe we live in a world where people have limited spending money, and might have to forego purchasing a few different video games to get that tablet. Not because the tablet is a better gaming device, but because they definitely make your life easier (speaking from experience here).

That being said, the OUYA Android TV gaming device, in my opinion, might make a good supplement to a console for people wanting to bring their mobile games to their TV, but I don't think it's the 'answer' to a 'problem' that doesn't exist. Anyone putting their heart in sole into this thinking it's the future of gaming is going to be disappointed.

-The opinion of someone entirely biased towards Microsoft and the Xbox 360.
You can catch me on my Personal website, twitter @Master00Sniper, or YouTube channel. XBL Gamertag: Master00Sniper

#3 random92

random92

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 14 August 2012 - 10:55 PM

Simple answer, no. A longer answer would be:

No, and why would any gamer want to make the switch? People play Angry Birds when they've got nothing else to do. Ouya will be in the home, where all of my gaming systems are. It's really not a tough decision, £99 to play a game that costs pence on my phone (I admit there will be other games, but no other mobile game has got such a big storm about it), or continue playing the AAA games I've come to know and love on my existing consoles, the next generation consoles to be released over the next few years AND my recent entry into the world of serious PC gaming

#4 Profexxion

Profexxion

Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 60 posts

Posted 20 August 2012 - 08:44 PM

This statement in the video makes me mad:

"... more and more people are moving away from the television" (speaking about playing video games)

I think that is 100% pure bull shit. You can't tell me that any gamer at all, even casual gamers, are moving away from gaming on their TV due to iOS and Android devices. I believe what people are seeing is simply an increase in mobile gaming, because people who would have NEVER typically played any kind of game (like my grandma) are now playing Angry Birds, or something similar. If any devices were going to be at risk of seeing a decline because of mobile gaming, it would be other mobile gaming devices like the 3DS or the Vita.

I don't believe we live in a world where a tablet replaces a console, and I don't believe we'll see that world at least in the next 10 years, as consoles continue to innovate themselves as well. I do believe we live in a world where people have limited spending money, and might have to forego purchasing a few different video games to get that tablet. Not because the tablet is a better gaming device, but because they definitely make your life easier (speaking from experience here).

That being said, the OUYA Android TV gaming device, in my opinion, might make a good supplement to a console for people wanting to bring their mobile games to their TV, but I don't think it's the 'answer' to a 'problem' that doesn't exist. Anyone putting their heart in sole into this thinking it's the future of gaming is going to be disappointed.

-The opinion of someone entirely biased towards Microsoft and the Xbox 360.

I definitely agree that the marketing direction they're taking (resurgence in tv gaming) is a little off kilter, but with the addition of On Live do either of you think the mobile platform and PC gaming will benefit from such ease of access now with a controller.

I'm mainly interested in this console for the streaming capabilities. But the success of that depends on how the controller translates to rts for me. *Shrug*

#5 Greg Morton

Greg Morton

Staff

• Moderators
  • 77 posts

Posted 20 August 2012 - 10:54 PM

OnLive has been around since 2010 I believe, yet cloud computed gaming hasn't made any major advances from what I've seen. I personally don't know anyone who uses it.

I think there's a market for it in the world of demo's. Nobody wants to download a 900mb file for a game only to discover they don't like it. Computing the game over the internet and streaming the video back obviously takes care of that download, and allows it to be played on literally any computer.

From what I've read though, (not personal experience) quality looks subpar on any screen larger than a netbook, it basically requires a strong wired connection, and there is still obvious latency in the controls.

I'm not sure what the service costs per month really, but even if it was super cheap I don't see it being worth it.

Do casual gamers want to sign up for a subscription service with subpar gaming quality? Does it even work on wireless mobile devices? I work in IT, and I deal with a lot of Wifi problems from both employees and customers; it's definitely not reliable. Personally, limiting myself to a Wifi network that I know has little to no interference, is fast enough, and has a strong connection, I'm already sitting in my room next to the hotspot and I might as well be playing my Xbox.
You can catch me on my Personal website, twitter @Master00Sniper, or YouTube channel. XBL Gamertag: Master00Sniper

#6 Profexxion

Profexxion

Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 60 posts

Posted 22 August 2012 - 03:31 PM

I didn't know anything about the quality issues, haven't experienced them. But I figure the idea of have a console streaming Onlive would be much more appealing. I think Cloud gaming will be successful as long as you can do it through one of the consoles. Onlive's current iteration limited the gaming to the same audience that already purchases (or pirates) pc games.

#7 Profexxion

Profexxion

Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 60 posts

Posted 22 August 2012 - 03:32 PM

But you're right about quality though. Unless thats fixed, this is all for nothing. Maybe thats why Sony went with gaikai

#8 roxdevicode

roxdevicode

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 05:58 AM

You're right, Lots of lovely games are available for free on Android Marketplace. So why blow up your hard earned money on the paid games!

#9 Jerieth

Jerieth

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 04:57 PM

I guess we will have to wait and see, but I never thought I would be so addicted to Mobile games as I am now. There has been a couple times when I have chosen to play Angry Birds instead a console or PC game. Plus you can't beat free! 

----------------------

http://www.playnswap.com
#1 Site to Trade your old video games for new ones FREE!

#10 matthewsbuck

matthewsbuck

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 84 posts

Posted 11 May 2013 - 09:59 AM

What to Look for in a Hard Drive That You Are Purchasing? When you are going to buy laptop hard drive, it is extremely important to look for one that is going to be fast and large enough to accommodate all of your files and data needs. It
Yeah, it's just what I need, I'm about to have a new one
I always use Dell Hard Disk Drives, what about you, guys?
Gateway!!!lol