• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Greg Morton

Greg Morton

Staff

• Moderators
  • 77 posts

Posted 23 August 2012 - 12:51 AM

There was a website called gameblog.me, which served as a personal blog for a guy named Greg as well as a (outdated) list of the free games he's found and enjoyed on the internet.

One day, a marketing company contacted him and wanted to purchase an annual ad for X amount of dollars. This dollar amount seemed reasonable for the amount of traffic the site generates, so Greg accepted. The ad went up into place, and the company came back shortly and said...

"Unfortunately, our client requires the link for the ad not include the nofollow attribute. Once this is removed, you'll get your payment"

Now Greg, not being completely web savvy but also not a n00b, understands that paying for a link, even an image link, without the nofollow attribute is paying for a link that would help increase page rank, which is against Google's webmaster guidelines.

So after thinking for a moment, Greg responded with:

"X amount of dollars is a reasonable price for the amount of traffic my website gets over the course of an entire year. X amount of dollars is not anywhere close to a fair price to violate Google's webmaster guidelines. Your client now has a choice, they can accept the ad with the nofollow attribute at the agreed upon price for a year, OR, they can be reported here as a website that buys paid links for page rank increase, and be investigated by Google and possibly have their website pulled from the search results.

https://www.google.c...tools/paidlinks

No response will be seen as a decision for the later"

30 minutes later, the response came in:

"Hi Greg,

Sorry for the misunderstanding. You are perfectly fine to keep the nofollow attribution on the banner!

Sincerely,
XX XX"

The payment came within minutes via Paypal.

Moral of the story? I'm not sure, you decide, I'm just happy I still got paid. :)
You can catch me on my Personal website, twitter @Master00Sniper, or YouTube channel. XBL Gamertag: Master00Sniper

#2 blasdetejas

blasdetejas

Staff

• Moderators
  • 17 posts

Posted 23 August 2012 - 04:20 PM

Greg 1 - XX XX 0
Personal gaming site. Xbox much? Add me: DosBlas

#3 Cristina

Cristina

Advanced Member

• Members